Wednesday, April 27, 2011

ireland

july: oxford!

(duh, miss claire - tell us something we don't know!)

last week of june: ireland!

(oooh - we didn't know that!)

other claire and i are making plans to travel in ireland for about 10 days before starting work in england.  we've been to dublin, so we're going to explore some smaller towns.  has anyone been to ireland?  we'd love ideas about where to go or things that we must do, etc.  please help.

before going to the republic of ireland we're going to spend a weekend in belfast with a friend of mine from working in oxford last summer.  his name is nick, and he is bow tie guy on the right:


(bow tie guy on the left is the one who isn't returning to oxford and has made my move to oriel college necessary.  i have forgiven him, but only barely.)

nick and his wife grew up in belfast and now are a doctor (him) and a pharmacist (her).  nick taught the medical science class at the summer program i work for.  nick and i skyped today and it was SO good to catch up with him and get his input on what we should do while we're there.  we'll be staying with him and his wife for a weekend and exploring belfast and the giant's causeway on the northern coast of northern ireland before renting a car and heading into the republic of ireland.

additionally, skype is magical.  i could see him, thousands of miles away (we gave each other tours - me of my office [4pm my time], him of his kitchen [9pm his time]).  for free dollars.  the 21st century rocks.

i'm starting (continuing?) to get really excited about this summer.

if you need me, i'll be singing this song to myself on repeat.  or, let's be honest, the two lines i know...

1 comment:

  1. I've only been to Dublin, but I had a blast. There's a magical pub that I'll find the name of - when Ivy and I went, we encountered what must be 95% of Ireland's hot guy population. No joke. And the Guinness factory is an obvious, but it's a top-notch museum.

    ReplyDelete