Friday, April 19, 2013

observations about houston

i offer these observations on houston, based on the 48 hours i spent there this week:

1. at least 1/3 of the radio stations are in spanish.

2. humidity = high...i'm back in the south!  the swimming-through-the-air feeling is one i'm familiar with from my time in north carolina and atlanta.

3. i got a hug at the meet-and-great with the new families i'm going to be working with.  it's a mom who was one of three parents who interviewed me when i was out there in march, and she came to the meet-and-greet to tell me how excited she was that i'm coming to the school.  so sweet of her!  possible gross exaggeration: this would never happen in new york.

4. i ate mexican food for two of my four meals in the city.  this might be near the top of my list of reasons to move to texas.  my sister's favorite texas taco joint (which she took me to when i visited dallas in january) has a location in houston WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE OF MY NEW APARTMENT.  a-maz-ing.  my love of tacos is well known, and new york city does NOT have good mexican food options.

5. i think i'm going to like living in the central time zone.  tv shows are on an hour earlier, thus facilitating going to bed earlier!  yessss.  (old lady alert.)

No comments:

Post a Comment