Thursday, December 31, 2015

december: 34 & 35

look at me, posting this month's reading on time.  two weeks off from work means i sort of have my act together!

this month i read:

dear mr. you, by mary-louise parker (you know how i read some books and i am like STOP EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING AND GO READ THIS BOOK.  this is one of those books.  kate bought it for me for christmas, and i was intrigued to see the actor mary-louise parker as an author. i wasn't sure what to expect, but this collection of a few dozen letters to men in her life (from her grandfather to son to cab driver to male goat that lives at her weekend house upstate), arranged into a memoir, is amazing.  she is a BEAUTIFUL writer, and the stories range from funny to tender to nostalgic…two or three just didn't click for me (though that's not a bad ratio out of all the letters in the book), and the final story made me weep so much as i read it lying in bed the day after christmas that a pool of tears formed on my pillow and i had to get up and blow my nose and then flip the pillow over so the cool water didn't disrupt my sleep.  YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK, AND FAST.)

the astronaut wives club, by lily koppel (kate lent me this book - it was the month of kate! - which is the story of the wives of the astronauts of the 1960s and 1970s.  it was interesting, and much of it is set just south of houston, which was kind of fun, but the tone was a little tell-all-gossipy and the writing wasn't going to win any awards, so i liked it but didn't love it.  i don't know much about the space missions, though, so i learned a bit as i read!)

No comments:

Post a Comment