Tuesday, November 1, 2016

october: 48, 49 & 50

50 books!  who am i?

barbara the slut, by lauren holmes (this is my "first book you see in a bookstore" - i went into brazos bookstore, my local independent bookstore, and kept my eyes averted from the books until i found a saleswoman.  i told her to lead me to my "first book i see," and make it a good one.  i told her some books i'd read recently, and she showed me this one.  poof!  i had to buy it.  i would NEVER have picked up this book on my own (the cover has the word "slut" spray painted on it), but i was totally into the short stories contained within.  success!)

the muse, by jessie burton (i read this for my online bookclub - two storylines: one in london in the 1960s and one in spain in the 1930s.  two well-rendered and vivid worlds and an exciting mystery about how exactly they will come together (which of course they do).  i'd recommend it!)

before the fall, by noah hawley (the same bookclub's pick for the previous month, which i didn't do because i had other reading commitments.  a private plane crashes, and only two people survive.  why did it crash?  i'm not rushing out to recommend this to everyone i know, but it was a good vacation read - if you go away for a long weekend, this book would happily keep you company.)

7 categories left to fulfill in 2016!  eek!  gotta get back on track if i hope to finish on time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment