Tuesday, July 24, 2018

june: 16, 17, 18 & 19

summer!  more time for reading!  this month i read:

my grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry, by fredrik backman (my mom gave me this for christmas and i really enjoyed it, as i have really enjoyed all of backman's books.  did i cry at the end of this?  like a blubbering idiot, yes.  the characters have emotions that are so real and so tender.  i had no choice.  if you haven't read any of his books, please give one a try!)

igen, by jean m. twenge (this was a book my boss asked us to read, and i did not hate it.  in fact, i was spewing a lot of facts about kidsthesedays but calling them igen like the author wanted me to (as in, internet generation) and my boyfriend kept saying STOP SAYING IGEN IT SOUNDS RIDICULOUS and i kept saying I HAVE DRUNK THE KOOLAID AND MUST SAY IT, and suffice it to say i had a lot of facts to share and annoyed those around me with them and that means it was a useful book.  if there are teens in your life, this is a good read with a TON of charts and graphs to back up the words.)

we were the lucky ones, by georgia hunter (um, i only read this a month ago and i don't remember what it was about THAT IS NOT A GOOD SIGN oh wait i remember: the holocaust.  in poland.  it was very depressing, but is semi-autobiographical - the main character is the author's grandfather and the stories in the book are based on stories she heard about her grandfather and his siblings and parents.  i actually didn't know much about how the war affected polish jews, and found this book illuminating though, you know, depressing.)

you don't have to say you love me, by sherman alexie (i listened to the audiobook of this one, which is a memoir of alexie's relationship with his mother, who had recently died.  i really like alexie's work and i found this memoir moving and quite well done.  my school is removing absolutely true diary of a part-time indian from its freshman english curriculum, though, as a result of the #metoo allegations against alexie, so i'm a bit torn about him and his work right now.  glad to have read this, whatever the situation.)

No comments:

Post a Comment