Monday, August 20, 2012

packing

because i am me, i am already packing and organizing myself for my move in 10 days.  some people would say this is too early.  whatever.  organizing is fun.

i decided which books i'm going to take to new york with me!  people like nora will understand the importance of this decision.  though...i do have my kindle, so i can really read any book i want...but physical books are a comfort to have on the bookshelf.  i still love physical books.


four new york city travel guides - yay!

i have read all of the other books.  in my new life i don't imagine i'll have much time for reading for pleasure - probably just the couple minutes before i fall asleep at night.  my cousin nate said last weekend that he likes to re-read books at night, because they require less concentration - you already know what's going to happen, so if you only get through a couple pages it's easy to pick it back up the next day.  this is genius.  this is what i'm going to do.  i also thought that nonfiction would be a good move, as they don't have as much of a plot to follow.  (feel free to say that i'm overthinking this.)

these three books are all set in new york, so they seemed important to bring and re-read while i'm there:
frank mccourt, teacher man
julie powell, julie & julia
truman capote, breakfast at tiffany's

these books are others that i've loved and fit the above-mentioned requirements:
mindy kaling, is everyone hanging out without me? and other concerns
stefan fatsis, word freak
good poems for hard times (this is the only book on this list that i haven't read, but a book of poems is excellent for quick nighttime reading.)
roald dahl, matilda
michael pollan, the omnivore's dilemma

i'm getting more and more excited about the move as each day passes!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you thought of me :-)

    And, I often like to travel with short stories. I know you're not quite traveling, but it's similar. Among the first purchases I made for my Kindle were the collected short stories of Truman Capote and Ernest Hemingway, plus a book of Capote's essays called "Portraits and Observations." I love Truman Capote.

    ReplyDelete