Thursday, October 1, 2009

this post brought to you by the letter G

Today I'm sitting in my office, minding my own business, and my work friend Willis* comes in holding a Tervis Tumbler he has just purchased from our school bookstore.**  He'd apparently lost or misplaced his old Tervis Tumbler, and I agree - once you own one of these things, you can NOT go without.  It keeps your water so cold!  And thus, you drink more water.  Willis holds up the cup and says, "Claire, they didn't have one with a W on it (for Willis).  This is the only one they had that appealed to me.  And they were having a sale.  I got 30% off."  And anyone who knows Willis knows that he loves a good sale.  His tervis tumbler has a capital G in it. 

Fact: Willis came out of the closet four years ago.
Fact: This was not a surprise to anyone.
Fact: G is for Gay.

I was then told that the bookstore manager said, "Willis, what does the G stand for?" And Willis said, "G is for Great!"

Meanwhile, we both know that G is NOT for Great.

Willis will be walking around our school with a G Tervis Tumbler.  As if his Greatness wasn't apparent enough as it is.


*Name changed to protect the innocent.

**Our school bookstore is OUT OF CONTROL.  It sells books and school supplies, yes, but it also sells fancy soaps, jams, fancy serving plates, Hobo wallets, fancy lotions, and Vera Bradley merchandise.  I have heard that our school bookstore is the number one seller of Vera Bradley merchandise in the Southeast.  I don't know if I totally believe this, but it is NOT out of the question.  If you want to spend money, come to our school and spend 10 minutes in the bookstore.

4 comments:

  1. Pop quiz: what does Willis* like to wear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart this post. And Willis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this.... and I love that by your description, I can visualize Willis standing there, cup in hand, telling you about his bookstore experience :) Oh, how I miss the HI bookstore! Can't wait to catch up... coming in town the weekend of Oct 23... save a night for me!

    ReplyDelete