Wednesday, November 10, 2010

a tip

want to keep 55 high school seniors quiet for three hours while on a field trip to a courthouse?  here are my tips:
1. tell them they'll be in big trouble if they aren't quiet (aka threaten them).  repeat this as often as necessary before going on the field trip.
2. have them sit in the presence of several police officers and a judge (aka scare them).
3. give them 500 post it notes and tell them to pass notes (aka distract them).  this is the best idea i have ever had in my 28 years of life.  they passed notes - both on topic and off topic, i'm sure - and just were genuinely the best behaved kids ever.  attentive, interested, thoughtful, present.  i am so proud of how they acted.

today i was reminded of how amazing it is to be a teacher.  i'm lucky to have such great students.

we sat through the final three witnesses and the closing arguments in a murder trial, and i'm now on pins and needles waiting to hear the outcome.  the jury is out.  the judge expects that they'll be back by the end of the day.  i am waiting by my computer.  more about the trial soon...

4 comments:

  1. Anecdote from this summer's TIP: a class took a field trip to the courthouse, and the instructor followed rules 1 and 2, particularly with regards to turning off their cell phones and emphasizing that silencing or vibrating is NOT turning off. The judge reiterated this, saying that he regularly arrests people for contempt if their cell phone rings in court. Right at that moment, a distinct buzzing sounds, and every single student pulls out their phone to check the caller. Not one telephone turned off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several things:
    1. I haven't been to your blog in a LONG time.
    2. I love the new background!
    3. Chia Obama make me laugh out loud.
    4. I want to hear the results of the trial!
    5. You are great and I am glad you are my friend and your blog reminds me why I love you!

    Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6. I am a cave man. "Chia Obama make me laugh out loud."

    ReplyDelete
  4. nora - i genuinely think all (or close to all) of my students left their cell phones at school. it was a miracle!!

    caveman kelly - yay - glad you're visiting! i will post the results of the trial soon!

    ReplyDelete