Sunday, September 19, 2010

reminded

“My riches consist not in the extent of my possessions, but in the fewness of my wants.”
—Joseph Brotherton
(1783-1837); pastor, writer

if traveling for the past two summers has taught me anything, it is this: i can live very comfortably with the possessions that fit into a carry-on suitcase and a backpack.


(on my way out the door to fly to london, june 2010)

i had forgotten this...and most people are shocked when i tell them that i lived for seven or eight weeks out of this suitcase.  but i've done it twice and i wouldn't do it any differently in the future.  when you travel light you realize that you don't need much to be happy.  good food, good people, an ipod, a book, a laptop, and something to cover your body.  a closet full of clothes, a hairdryer, a tv, a big comfy bed, a car - these aren't necessary.  do i want these things?  yes.  but i don't need them.  to be reminded of that has been an important lesson for me as i discover what is meaningful in life.

2 comments:

  1. Well done. Your quote reminds me of a virtually identical observation by Thoreau, somewhere in Walden, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're so right - this feels SO thoreau-y...and i love that!

    ReplyDelete