Sunday, October 16, 2011

i am my mother, example #5

yesterday it was beautiful (we're having such incredible weather here - highs in the 80s, lows in the 50s, sleeping with the windows open weather.  LOVE IT) and i went for a walk at my new favorite walking location (read about it here!).  it is history + beautiful + shady + a 1 hour round trip walk.  it makes me happy.

as i'm on the home stretch and nearing the parking lot, i see a mcdonald's coffee cup on the trail.  here is a transcription of what happened in my brain: "argh!!  it is beautiful here and some lame person is littering.  i hate them.  i should throw this away.  i'm not too far from the parking lot so i won't have to carry it too far.  oh my god.  I AM MY MOTHER."

so i picked up the coffee cup, and then a twix wrapper, and then a starbucks napkin.

when i was growing up, this is what my mom would do all the time.  it's wonderful, of course - leaving the place cleaner than you found it - but somehow this really embarrassed me as a child.  like, mom, don't be weird.  no one else does this.  isn't it funny how much of our childhood we spend trying to be like everyone else?


next thing you know i'll be carrying a special bag on my walks just for other people's trash.

(i will do my best not to let that happen.)

No comments:

Post a Comment