Sunday, February 5, 2012

crepes

when i was younger my family would go to my aunt and uncle's house in delaware about once a year - usually at christmastime, if i recall correctly.  my uncle john would make crepes at some point every year - this was a tradition in their family and the crepes were DELICIOUS.  when i was in florida in january for my grandma's birthday celebration, i asked him for the recipe.  and today i tried it!  i made a half batch and filled the crepes with cottage cheese and strawberries sweetened with honey.  AMAZING.  just sweet enough, but they felt very light and healthy and i am adding "crepe maker" to my list of skills on my resume.  i can see myself making these frequently, as they don't require any special ingredients.  here's the recipe, courtesy of my uncle john:

From Fannie Farmer:


2 eggs
1 cup milk
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons melted butter


Mix eggs first then add other ingredients (all at room temperature)


Beat until smooth; let stand for 30 minutes


Heat small (5-7 inch) pan to medium heat


Film with butter


Pour several tablespoons of batter in the pan an immediately tilt the pan to coat the bottom with a thin even coating (as thin as possible)


Flip when lightly brown and cook the other side


Filling: ½ cottage cheese, ½ fruit yogurt (or anything else you might desire)

No comments:

Post a Comment