Tuesday, November 17, 2009

healing

oh elaine - i feel you.  except i didn't try to pet a dog.  i tried to stand still and not get bitten.  AND I FAILED.

Dog Bites Elaine

did you know that you can get tetanus from a dog bite?  neither did i, but apparently everyone else DID know this and recommended it.  i thought you could only get tetanus from stepping on a rusty nail, like i did when i was little.  i have this very vivid memory of being at the house when i was mini (3 or 4?) and mom telling me to put on shoes before we went back to work on the old house, this (imagine that) old house on our property in mcgrady.  i hated wearing shoes as a kid - i have no idea why - and wouldn't wear them unless absolutely necessary.  i would pick my way across gravel driveways and field of just-cut hay with prickly bits sticking everywhere, going 1 mile per hour, just so i wouldn't have to put on shoes.  on this particular occasion i won the fight with mom and got to walk around near the old house without shoes on.  and then i stepped on a rusty nail.  of course.  because moms are always right.  i remember being in the white truck and driving back to our house really fast so mom could take care of my wounded foot.  she says that i had already a tetanus shot, so they didn't take me to the doctor.  i am, obviously, a trooper.

here in 2009 i don't have a tetanus shot that's up to date (they expire after 10 years and my last one was in 1996), so i went to my doctor's to get that.  she looked at my wound and said to keep an eye on it, but that it wasn't too deep and wasn't infected (yet), so i should be okay.  woo hoo.  do you want to see this wound?  do you?  do you?  well, i don't want to freak out casual observers, so you'll have to click this link to my picasa page to see it.  if you're interested, that is.

Dogs Can Be Mean (click on the photos to make them larger, for full gross-out effect)

is this weird that i'm putting these photos online?  has this blog gone too far into my personal life?  apologies if it has...

and i promise to stop talking about this soon(-ish).

3 comments:

  1. Ouch those look like they hurt. You have an interesting blog I hope the wounds heal for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an English teacher, I'd love to hear the dog's perspective on this incident.

    ReplyDelete
  3. here is the dog's perspective: "i am a lunatic and just bark at and bite anyone within 15 feet of my house. my owner hasn't trained me not to. whatcha gonna do about it??"

    ReplyDelete