Monday, November 16, 2009

i want to live in a land called paradise

at my dorky history conference this weekend i went to a session (as i mentioned previously) about muslim perspectives in film.  the presenter started the session by introducing herself and then immediately playing this video:

Kareem Salama - A Land Called Paradise

(i really hope this link works.)

kareem salama is a egyptian-american country-western singer who is muslim.  I LOVE THIS SONG.  since i found the video online when i got home i have watched it approximately 10 times and i will be purchasing his album even though itunes does not appear to be carrying it.  do you like country music even a little bit?  why are you still reading - WATCH THIS VIDEO.  watch it again.  try not to sing along.  IT IS IMPOSSIBLE.

the text and video are also so powerful, and in just a couple minutes they help, i think, dispel a lot of stereotypes americans (including myself, for sure) have about muslims.  for that reason, i love this video even more.  i will be showing it in class.  i just need to figure out how to incorporate it into a lesson plan.  or not.  it pertains to current events, right?  i can totally just show this.


[dog bite update: i have consulted both the school nurse (who gave me big bandaids and told me to make sure my tetanus shot was up to date) and my teacher-friend who is also a doctor (watch for pus, lots of redness, and firmness of the wound - those are bad signs...and she told me to take the bandaid off for a bit every day to let it breathe.  this is my mom's answer to all wounds: don't cover them up all the time.  woah.  apparently this is sound medical advice.  good work, mom.).  i think i will live.  it doesn't hurt...it's just a bit tender and really gross...]

1 comment:

  1. So, I just watched this video and wanted you to know that it will touch students in Nashville as well. We just finished Reading Lolita in Tehran in my Women's Lit class and have discussed the veil at length, among other Muslim/Iranian issues that come up in the memoir. I've tried and tried to express how many things we have in common with these women, and yet I'm not sure my girls get it. I think this will help. Thanks, Claire. Not only is this blog proving to be one of the brightest spots in my day, humor wise, it is now helping me reach my students. :)

    ReplyDelete