Sunday, November 22, 2009

i love my couch

it is rainy rainy rainy in atlanta today - and quite chilly (for us).  i dragged myself out of bed this morning to go the gym, and from there went to work at world peace for the afternoon.  it was crazy at world peace - people everywhere - and chris had me working the register.  i'm pretty new at the register, but not as new as i used to be.  i know this because when i first started working the register this was every interaction:

customer: hi!  i'd like a TMB with a side salad and a pot of tea - what kind do you like best?
me: okay, i'm a new at this, so bear with me! (where is the key for TMB? TMB, TMB, where is it??  panic!  oh, here we go. okay, now what is the code for a side salad.  let me check this sheet, side salad...okay, 180.)  i've got your TMB with a side salad - i'm sorry, can you repeat what else you wanted?

and it would continue from there.  italicized words are my inner monologue, obviously.  at this point i would be sweating profusely.  out of nervousness.

now i'm at the point where i can ring up orders quickly and even key in things like "no mayonnaise."  (hold your applause.)  even when we were mobbed today, i pretty much kept my cool.  except i keyed in debit cards as credit cards, so when we ran the report at the end of the shift the credit card report was tragically off...until i realized what i'd done.  and no permanent damage was done.  whew.  crisis averted.

i'm back home now, and this is the perfect weather for eating a big lunch (check) and wearing a fluffy flannel robe (check) and curling up on the couch (check) under a blanket (check) and watching copious amounts of tv (check).  oh, i'm so happy right now.

in honor of my afternoon spent watching my tivoed shows, i offer you this quote from the daily show with jon stewart which is too good not to share.  I LOVE THIS MAN.  he constantly makes my day.

"the special olympics is to winners what fox news is to experts; if you show up, you are one." -jon stewart, the daily show, 11/18/09.

No comments:

Post a Comment