Thursday, July 29, 2010

book club

"I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves."
--Anna Quindlen, author
(anna quindlen: are you inside my head?  and inside nora's head?)


so i'm on facebook the other day, reading through my friends' status updates, and one came up for my sister, becky, that was a picture of her classroom and the tag line "book clubs make better readers!"  so i clicked the link, was taken here (click "more" to read the whole proposal), and when i stopped being teary-eyed about how sweet this idea is, i donated a little money.  (i was also like, "wait, why am i finding out about this via facebook?" and i think her desire not to pressure anyone into giving by emailing them added to my desire to help out her class.)  i visited becky's class in october and i know what a special place it is.  i also have a very vivid memory of reading when i was in 4th grade: my 4th grade teacher gifted teacher assigned us my brother sam is dead to read, which was the first book i'd ever read that contained the word "damn" and i couldn't believe we were allowed to read it.  i really liked that book, and my friend joe and i both read ahead even though we were NOT SUPPOSED TO READ AHEAD because we wanted to know what would happen.  looking back, perhaps it isn't a coincidence that i remember this book (historical fiction) so fondly and then grew up to be a history teacher.

but anyway: i hope becky's kiddos are making memories like that, too, and if you want to make a little donation, i'm sure she and her kids would be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment