Friday, October 22, 2010

"It Gets Better"

Have you guys heard about the “It Gets Better” Project?  It was started by Dan Savage, a radio host/podcaster/writer who is gay, telling gay adolescents that life gets better after middle school and high school bullying – and that you have to stick around to see it get better. They made a video in response to the recent suicides by gay youth in the US: you can watch it here.  Maybe I'm particularly touched by it because I work with highschoolers, but I am so moved by the simple message and the realization of how many young people aren't hearing it and need to hear it.

Lots of other celebrities and ordinary people have made their own "It Gets Better" videos, sharing their own stories of being bullied when they were younger and how life is better - and they have found happiness - as an adult.

Um, today?  President Obama made an "It Gets Better" video.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  I'm overwhelmed by this...that in this political climate, with an election upon us, with the number of people in this country who don't support equal rights for gays, that he would speak out on this issue.  You have to watch the video.  I think it's clear that he's speaking from the heart and that he is passionate about this issue.  He doesn't wimp out and say "bullying is bad!  Be nice!"  He addresses the issue head on.  He's gutsy.  Some people are going to be pissed off by this video.  I like it when he pisses people off.  Those people need to be pissed off.  Scratch that: those people need to be educated.

I love our President, and in the mess of politics I forget that sometimes.  Today I was reminded.

[major shout out to nora for posting the obama link!]

3 comments:

  1. Awww, yay! Yeah, my heart was warmed. But then I also had a hard time separating it from the fact that he has actual ability to MAKE it better...and hasn't lived up to that promise...

    So, I don't know. It has given me pause for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more Nora. Heart warming but also lacking in action. DADT and ENDA are still on the books. And for the most controversial of them all DOMA is still around as well. My response, awesome sentiment, now take your pick and hop to it.

    ReplyDelete