Monday, July 11, 2011

the kids arrived yesterday.  controlled chaos.  as usual.

i went to bed at 11pm after having worked straight - and been on my feet 95% of the time - since 8am.  boo hiss.  i was tired.

at 1am i was awoke by frantic knocking on my door.  in quirky oxford fashion, my room has two doors, with a little corridor in between that's about 3 feet long.  don't ask.  the outer door locks and the inner door...is there for no reason that i can understand.  but when i go to sleep i shut both doors.  i have no idea how long the knocking had been going on because it's quite muffled with another door in the way.

i go to the door, putting my glasses on as i go, and there stands a boy with no shirt on.  direct transcription of our conversation:
boy: "i'm so so sorry, but i sleepwalked out of my room..."
me: "go to the porter."*
boy: "...and locked myself out."
me: "go to the porter."
boy: "what?"
me: "go to the porter and he'll let you back in your room."
boy: "okay, thanks!"
me: "[indistinguishable mumbling as i went back to bed]."

in the light of day, i'm not totally confident that he knew where the porter's lodge is.  oops.

but he SLEEPWALKED OUT OF HIS ROOM?

this is going to be a long summer.


*a porter is sort of the guardian of the college - they deal with security and are posted at the main gate of the college 24 hours a day.  they also let kids into their room if they lock themselves out.

1 comment:

  1. Just the beginning-I'm sure thing will improve today...

    ReplyDelete