Friday, January 8, 2010

let it snow

the low tonight in ames, iowa, where my aunt and uncle and cousins live: -15.

holy shit.

we can't compete - and i don't think we're trying to - here in atlanta, but it has been cold here by our standards this week.  highs in the 30s, lows in the teens.  we are cold and not amused.  but with cold, friends, comes this much snow:





that is my car with approximately 0.5 inches of snow on it, our total accumulation.  be impressed.  photos taken last night at 9:45pm immediately after receiving the phone call that indicated that school was cancelled today.  snow day!  hooray!  i know this looks like we are weenies who can't deal with inclement weather, and we are.  that's the point.  atlanta public schools were cancelled today, as were cobb, fulton, and dekalb county public schools, and basically every private school in the area.  so we weren't alone.

my bedroom window looks out on a slight hill leading out of our neighborhood.  all morning i heard people trying (and many failing) to make it up the slightly icy hill and out of the neighborhood.  once i woke up, i perched myself on a chair next to the window (yes, i know that this is what old ladies do) so i could watch people try to get up the hill and thus learn what i would need to do if i wanted to go out to lunch with my friends.  some people made it up the hill in several attempts.  at least one person tried, failed, and went back home.  TRAGEDY.  when it came time for me to leave i was a little nervous, as my roommate sat perched at that very window, ready to judge me and laugh if i couldn't make it.  with a bit of a running start, i made it just fine.  I AM AMAZING.  the well-used roads were fine, and lunch at taqueria del sol was delicious.

happy weekend, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. But we got through it ok. Tomorrow is the first day of the spring semester at Iowa State, the temp is supposed to be in the mid-20's, which will feel like a heat wave, and I can guarantee you that there will be a few male undergrads out in shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. uncle matt: if there are undergrads in shorts, i require you to secretly photograph them. um, iowans are CRAZY. but we knew that already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear that I saw one yesterday. You know I don't have a camera, but I'll see if I can convince Laura to carry hers and snap a crazy; her office is in Campustown.

    ReplyDelete