Tuesday, January 19, 2010

yogurt rant

every morning i eat a yogurt for breakfast.  i pack it in my bag and eat it when i get to work, because i CLEARLY do not wake up with enough time to eat breakfast at home.  the yogurt-a-day practice has been around since i started teaching in atlanta.  at first, i ate a lot of yoplait yogurt.  but then i got on this organic milk and eggs kick, and yoplait, while cheap and delicious, was not rocking it for me.


yoplait-yogurt_7.jpg

then i fell head-over-heels in love with greek yogurt.  like, i couldn't stop telling people about how good it was and how they needed to try it.  i was prosthelytizing for yogurt.  i converted a couple people.



now, friends, i have found the yogurt to beat all yogurts.  yes, i'm still eating greek yogurt, but it is slowly being beaten by the best yogurt ever.


wallaby-yogurt-lowfat.jpg
wallaby yogurt is (a) delicious (i am in love with the maple flavor and the caramel apple flavor), (b) "australian style," which means it is a different/better consistency than yogurt i'm used to - not as gelatinously thick, and (c) they have totally suckered me in with the list on their website of family farms that produce the milk used in the yogurt.  they are attempting to sucker me in, and it is WORKING.

note: this yogurt costs $1 each.
note: i realize this is significantly more than your grocery store brand yogurt costs, let alone yoplait or its rivals.  but think of the cows!  they want to play outside and eat grass and not get antibiotic shots all the time.  and think of the family farms!  they want to make a living doing what they love and naming their cows.
note: to entertain myself, i put in my parents' zip code on the wallaby yogurts website to see if wallaby yogurts are sold in our county.  i thought this would be a riot - to see where the closest store selling this yogurt was.  i predicted: boone.  FALSE.  the lowes foodses (i have just pluralized foods) in town stock them (not the one closest to home, but they don't have anything other than white bread, either, so i'm not too shocked).  this is not just a yuppie product!

okay, it is.  but apparently there are yuppies in wilkes county, nc.

3 comments:

  1. I am rushing out to get some Aussie yogurt. I love happy cows (see picture previously published of Claire herding happy cows into the milk barn).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok this is going to sound RIDICULOUS, but one of my favorite foods of all time was the yogurt in Australia. I can't believe there is a kind like it here!!!! I will be going out to purchase this yogurt immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where does one purchase this yogurt? Miss Claire, please email me and tell me where. I want Aussie yogurt and I want it now :)

    Thanks gal, Megan

    ReplyDelete