Friday, April 9, 2010

coconut red lentil soup

i've linked to her blog before, but i love this chef/cookbook writer/food experimenter heidi and her vegetarian recipes.  this week i made her coconut red lentil soup, except i used green lentil, because that's what kroger had, and let it thicken until it was less soup and more stew.  DELICIOUS.  i felt like an amazing chef after making it because all the different components came together so well.  it's lentil-y and a tiny bit spicy (it feels thai because of the curry powder and coconut milk) and hearty, but also has a sweetness every once in a while from the ginger (i used pickled ginger) and the raisins.  SO GOOD.  i brought some leftovers for lunch today, and i am now counting down the hours until i can eat it.  because i live from meal to meal.  and maybe that isn't a healthy way to look at things, but it's the way i look at things - planning my next meal as i finish my last one.  who's with me on that?  (i know my sister is, because we do it together...)

2 comments:

  1. I also love the 101 Cookbooks blog. Also, you should check out SmittenKitchen.com, which I am obsessed with. It isn't entirely vegetarian stuff, but she does make a lot of vegetable and pasta dishes, and AMAZING desserts and baking. I probably try out one out of every two or three recipes that she posts. Also, one of these days I'll get "Cooking with the Claremonsters" up on Claremonster.com - it's been a work in progress for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I am now totally in love with (do you see how I avoided saying "smitten with"? Be proud of me for avoiding a pun) smittenkitchen - thanks, Rachie! Claremonster.com is the best website I have been to in a while, solely because of the mini Rachie picture in it. Actually, mostly because of the mini/maxi Scottie picture. :)

    ReplyDelete