Thursday, April 1, 2010

wilkes county

when i saw my parents last weekend, claire #2 and i were telling them that we're going to see the zac brown band in atlanta in may and we are SO EXCITED.  my mom then told us two facts, one of which is true and one of which is not.

fact #1: the zac brown band is coming to merlefest this year!  (a quick google search confirmed this.  i was impressed that my mom (a) had heard of the band, and (b) remembered that they were coming to merlefest.  merlefest, for those who don't know, is this big mostly-bluegrass music festival that happens in my hometown every may.)

fact #2: my mom then says, "zach galifianakis, the drummer in the band, is from wilkes county!  i know his mom!"  my dad was EXTREMELY skeptical.  (so was i.  in fact, i did no research and just wrote this off as false information.  it was interesting, though, that she came up with this [unusual] name seemingly out of nowhere.  perhaps she was on to something.)  fast forward two weeks.  last night i was on facebook.  for those who don't know, facebook suggests friends for you if you know people in common or went to the same school.  there on my facebook homepage was this: "become friends with zach galifianakis.  you both went to wilkes central high school."  HOLY SHIT.  now, he is not in the zac brown band, but my mom was right about something.

wilkes county will now be famous for: lowes foods and lowes hardware starting there, having a nascar racetrack once-upon-a-time, tom dooley, merlefest, famous siamese twins who lived here, and the birthplace of the longest serving senator in us history.  and zach galifianakis.

1 comment:

  1. Let's be clear: I was not skeptical that Zack Galifianakas was raised in Wilkes County. He may be nation-wide minor celebrity, but he is a major Wilkes County celebrity. I, too, know his mother (who works at the Community College). I was skeptical that Zack Galifianakas was the drummer in in the Zack Brown band, however. Just to straighten out the record.

    ReplyDelete