Tuesday, January 24, 2012

blood drive fail

today, 8:15am: i check in at the blood drive on campus.  all is going well.  i haven't given blood since shortly after college, when i was denied for having too low an iron level.  womp womp.  but since the drive was on campus and we were encouraging students to give, i decided to give it a try.

8:30am: i am seated in the chair.  i tell the phlebotomist (vocab word of the day!) that sometimes (read: usually) they have trouble finding a vein, and that sometimes (read: a couple times) i've gotten dizzy while donating.  she seems unconcerned.

8:40am: she tries to find a vein.  for a while.  then she calls over another lady who also tries to find a vein.  for a while.  this doesn't feel good, if you've never experienced it.  lady #2 eventually finds a vein.  life is good.

8:45am: all of a sudden, i am about to throw up and the world is going grey.  awesome.  as this has happened before, i'm not necessarily freaking out, just feeling tragic.  before i can even alert them of this fact, bad-vein-finder asks me if i feel okay.  i tell her i do not.  she tips me back, saying my lips had turned blue.  bad-vein-finder is really nice to me.  i am friends with her again.  i continue to feel tragic, while another woman gives me sips of blue powerade.  i spend approximately 5 minutes here, trying not to die.  i do not die.  i feel better!  my veins do not.  they stop giving blood.  bad-vein-finder-friend tips me forward.  approximately 1 minute later i feel tragic again.  i am tipped back.  they are making me cough (um, why?).  i am making a small scene.  TRAGEDY.  i am still diligently pumping my fist.  they laugh and tell me to stop.  the needle is out.  I HAVE FAILED.  but i am alive.  in this moment, that is all that matters.

i have never failed before.  i have felt bad, but always been able to make it through and donate a full pint.  this is important, because they prep the bags with the anticoagulant (i kind of made that up - they prep the bags with something) that is pre-measured to work with a full pint.  if you don't give a full pint, they can't use any of it.  ugh.

so...i know that giving blood is a good and important thing, and i want to give blood.  i think, now, that i need to throw in the towel.  good try, miss claire.  but this is not for you.

2 comments:

  1. Pauvre Claire! So sorry it didn't work out:( I tried valiantly to lose consciousness (not being able to feel my feet, nausea, and general grayness, being things that I try to avoid by the aforementioned passing out), but they brought me through. My goal for 2013 is to donate without the ickiness! Not sure how I'm going to prep for this, but I'll let you know when I figure something out... Stupid brain getting my body all worked up because of a little needle, what a wimp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vein has stopped giving blood before. Do not feel like a failure!

    ReplyDelete