Wednesday, March 17, 2010

handshakes

a couple weekends ago i spent 7 hours at school interviewing students who are applying to our school for next year.  it went by quickly - 15 minutes of interviewing, they do a writing sample for us for about 15 minutes, i write up the interview, and it's on to the next kid.  all the kids i interviewed today are in 8th grade and applying for 9th grade.  it's really fun to see them all dressed up and a bit nervous and trying to impress us.  they shake hands with me like real grown ups would, both before and after the interview.  i imagine that this is something their parents drill into them - "make sure you shake her hand afterwards and thank her for taking the time to talk with you!"

i had this vivid memory at the end of the day, shaking hands with the last girl i interviewed, of my grandma giving me the same talk.  i don't know what award i was about to receive, but i knew that the next day i'd be shaking hands with some grown up after they gave me an award.  this was when my grandma lived next door to me, so i must have been in elementary school - maybe 4th grade?  my grandma made me practice with her the night beforehand.  "okay, hold your hand like this.  good.  now, firm handshake.  not limp like this - no, firm.  good.  the first thing a person will notice about you is your handshake.  you have to make a good, strong first impression."

and a handshake is one of those things, isn't it, that we do judge people on if they give a limp handshake, or just use the tips of their fingers, or just hold their hand out and give no pressure in return.  for a working girl like myself, a handshake is important.  and when i was 9, my grandma knew that.

3 comments:

  1. And I remember the same speach from and practice with your grandpa. It is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an important lesson for a young person!! I remember receiving the same speech from my mother, a business woman, and I think of her every time someone gives me a wimpy handshake-- I especially hate it when a man does this. It makes me feel like he has so little respect for me that he doesn't think I can handle a firm grip. I'm sure this is ridiculous on my part, but nonetheless, it's what I think-- sexist it may be, but with the women, I just feel sorry for them.

    ReplyDelete