Thursday, March 4, 2010

a willis story that isn't embarrassing

have you heard about this?

(i don't know why you would, necessarily, but i thought i would ask.)

grinnell college in iowa - where my dear, dear friends abby and aaron (hi abby and aaron!) went to college - has chosen a new president who is black and gay.  this is news is 2010 - and maybe it won't be in twenty years, but it is now.

willis is a little bit beside himself about this.  you see, willis wants to be president of duke university one day.

and willis is the kind of person who would do this:


From: [willis]
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:27 AM
To: Kington, Raynard (NIH/OD) [E]
Subject: Congratulations and Thank You

Dr. Kington-

Good morning. I'm [willis]. Since I was a young boy, I knew that I
wanted to be in education. I'd often stay behind and talk with my teachers
about why they chose the profession, what they liked about it, and as
importantly, what they would change. I made worksheets and lesson plans
that I kept, certain I'd be a teacher one day. Throwing my mortar board
into the air in a small farm town in Missouri, again at Duke University, and
once more in Ann Arbor, I was certain that education was the path and the
more I matured, the more I knew that leading an institution of higher
education was "it" for me.

I did what all young adults do --management consulting (in healthcare and
higher education) -- for a couple of years before I arrived at my current
position, the creator and Director of the [our school] Program in Global
Citizenship. Using servant leadership, citizenship and diversity as its
pillars, we strive to create experiences for our students that encourage
them to think through problems in the world with lenses of justice,
fairness, and social entrepreneurship. Being at an Episcopal independent
day school in Atlanta has again reminded me of why the collegiate experience
is the one I want to shape and mold.

I say all that to say this. You, with your recent appointment as the 13th
president of Grinnell College, have paved the way for me to achieve my
lifelong dream of becoming a college president. Growing up as a biracial
gay male, the possibility of becoming a university president seemed
unattainable at times, regardless of the effort I put forth, the experiences
I sought out, or the people to whom I introduced myself. And you have
changed that. Your work, your dedication to your career, and your interest
in the education and growth of others has made it possible for individuals
like myself to continue down this track.

I never wanted to be a doctor, or a lawyer, or a fireman when I was a boy.
What I wanted was to live and exist in a community in which we cared about
the growth of young adults. A community that we fostered opportunities to
develop citizens of the world. A community that demanded--without
demanding-- concern for social justice, equality, and the pursuit of
knowledge and wisdom.

I realize you don't know me. But I needed you to know these things. Good
luck as you embark upon your tenure at Grinnell. Should an opportunity
arise, I'm only an e-mail away.

Regards,
[willis]


and the new president of grinnell WROTE HIM BACK.


From: "Kington, Raynard (NIH/OD) [E]"
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:35:51 -0500
To: [willis]
Subject: RE: Congratulations and Thank You

[willis] -- First, let me apologize for taking so long to respond to your
kind note -- I am slowly working my way through a mountain of email! Of
course, I am delighted if I can serve as a role model for bright young
people such as you. I wish you the best in your career, and I hope your path
can lead you to your ultimate goals. Leading Grinnell will be a big
challenge, but I plan to do my best. It helps to know that people such as
yourself are behind me!

Take care,
Raynard



are you a little teary yet?  if you haven't already, watch the video that i linked to at the top of this post - grinnell's new president seems awesome, if only because he is so great with his cute little kiddo.  and because he took the time to write willis back.  some people write fan mail to movie stars and pop singers.  willis writes fan mail to university presidents.  willis = adorable.

(thanks to willis for letting me share in his excitement of getting an email back(!!!), and for letting me post it here.)

2 comments: