Friday, March 19, 2010

i heart nonfiction

as a girl who likes nonfiction essays and articles, i am amazed by this list from NYU's journalism school of the 80 best works of journalism this decade.  they plan to narrow it down to 10 "winners," but i may not even pay attention to that when it happens.  this list of 80 is so impressive to begin with.

from this list, i've read/seen:
ehrenreich's nickel and dimed
pelosi's journeys with george
jon stewart's coverage of the '04 and '08 elections
if by chance we meet again, a piece from this american life (that is STUNNING)
lee's when the levees broke
jesus camp
nate silver's blog fivethirtyeight.com (were you my friend in the fall of 2008?  because i was talking about this blog basically every day.)
this american life's episode the giant pool of money
man on wire


[i'm going to be honest, and i didn't realize this when i started this post, i loved - LOVED, like it made a huge impact on me - every one of these pieces that i've read or seen.  so this undertaking by NYU becomes legit to me.  and i would really recommend that people who haven't seen or read the ones i list above to do so now.  now, i said.]


i'd already wanted to read/see:
gladwell's the tipping point
bryson's a short history of nearly everything
fog of war
friedman's the world is flat


nora wallis, are you reading?  because this list makes me think of you. :)

1 comment:

  1. For serious, I AM SO GLAD YOU POSTED THIS. I had no idea such a list existed, and you know I'll be filling in my gaps. I love you for thinking of me.

    ReplyDelete