Thursday, June 10, 2010

12 hours until kickoff!

do you know this about me?  I LOVE PETTY COMPETITION.  not competition to see who is going to make the most money or be the most "successful" or run the farthest or the fastest, but mini competitions.  who can correctly guess what time we'll finish grading AP exams on the last day.  who can correctly guess the electoral vote count in the presidential election.  who can make the best men's basketball tournament bracket.  this I LOVE.  i love following competitions that are larger than myself and i love playing games to pass the time.  if there is competition involved, i will become interested.

enter: world cup 2010.

have i watched a professional soccer game in the last, oh, four years?*  no, no i have not.  but give me a competition and i will get excited.  hence: i'm in a world cup pool that my friend clay started, and i'll be watching as many of the games where the us (or england, my adopted country** for the summer) is playing as i can.  it's a competition.  there will be an ultimate winner and thus (for me) a lot of fun along the way.  i'm all of a sudden a big soccer fan.***

and for your enjoyment ladies (and some gentlemen), i give you this.  though i would like to dispute the inclusion of some of the players on this list...


*since the LAST world cup, that is...

**and a country that will probably make it further in the competition than the us will, and i will cheer for them when the us loses.  PLUS, they're in the same group as the us.  what could be more exciting?

***for those who don't know, i played soccer all growing up and was the captain of my high school team.  (go unicorns!  you can make fun of our mascot later.)  i'm KNOW the rules.  i just never watch the games.

No comments:

Post a Comment