Wednesday, June 23, 2010

surreal conversation with my sister

becky: we only have four and a half days of school left!  and one of those days is field day and another day is 5th grade graduation, so really we are almost there.
me: hooray!
becky: my class is singing a song at 5th grade graduation. [becky teaches 4th grade in harlem.]
me: fun!  what song?
becky: "empire state of mind." the alicia keys version - not the parts where jay-z raps.
me: ohmygod.
becky: i know.

note: at mulberry school, where i went to 4th grade, i'm pretty sure we sang "god bless the usa," by lee greenwood, during a school assembly.  i think this song comparison really epitomizes the larger difference between growing up in rural north carolina in the 1980s and growing up in new york city in the 2000s.

No comments:

Post a Comment