Friday, January 28, 2011

the battle hymn of the republic

my friend nora has a blog about music, and i am in love with this post.  i love patriotic songs - when they are sung well (as these are).  my favorites: the joan baez version - she has SUCH an amazing voice, and i forget that.  and the mormon tabernacle choir version: um, how awesome are the 80s-ish dresses the women are wearing in this version??  answer: extremely awesome.  and, more importantly, how amazing is this choir.  when i was in salt lake city for a conference in the summer of 2008, i went to the public rehearsal of the choir (during the week - wednesdays, maybe?) before they perform on sundays.  the week i went was right before the 4th of july and they sang all patriotic songs AND I WAS SPEECHLESS.  i was excited just to hear them sing - but to hear them sing nonreligious songs that are also america-y?  so so happy.  they were incredible live and it's one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences that i know i'll remember forever.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous you've seen the Norman Nabertwackle (as my family always called 'em) Choir in person! And thanks for linking to me :) Miss your face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was growing up, my Mom had a record (33 -1/3 rpm) of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing "Songs of the North and South." I think it was released on the 100th anniversary of the start of hostilities, which is now 50 years ago. This version of the Battle Hymn was on it, nearly note for note (I don't remember the harp in the old record). In my view, the Battle Hymn and the MTC were made for each other. Damp eyes and pounding heart whenever I hear it.

    FLASH: I just discovered that the 1961 MTC album has been reissued on CD. So I bought it. Of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous also. That choir can deliver a sound that's strictly other-worldly.

    Mom may still have that record. I'll check next trip.

    ReplyDelete