Sunday, January 30, 2011

jolene

um, the town was a REALLY good movie.  were you guys aware of that?  interesting story line, not TOO scary for weenie little me, good acting.  ben affleck: you done good.  as the film ended and the credits started to roll, this song plays:



i said, out loud to my empty living room, "ben affleck: i love you."  anyone who likes this song can be a friend of mine.


interesting side note: i know three songs called "jolene" - same title, different music and lyrics.  for a song about a woman who a pretty obscure name, i'm impressed she's the title of three songs.  anyone know something i don't about these songs being connected somehow?  here are the other two, by the weepies and dolly parton:






which song is my favorite?  impossible for me to say.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you! I've always loved Dolly's version, but now I have two more Jolene songs that I LOVE. Ray is always awesome, as are The Weepies, but I'd never heard either of these songs... thanks for sharing. I saw The Town with MPH when it was in theaters... I didn't like it. I thought it was a combination of three movies that had already been made, but now I can't remember what they were. Oh well. Glad you enjoyed Blue Valentine. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The White Stripes do a cover of Dolly's Jolene that absolutely breaks my heart (its sad and plaintive and beautiful all at once)-- you should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron - just youtubed that version - really interesting to hear their take on it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Claire. I KNEW I had heard the Jolene version you list first and was on The Town. Zac Brown must have done a cover of it.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=jolene&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=JFd&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&q=cocaine+flame+in+my+bloodstream&aq=0&aqi=g2g-v2g-o1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=92d5e6d07d8a9acf

    ReplyDelete