Monday, February 22, 2010

i may never live this down

when you have your own blog, you can really present yourself in any way you want.  you can blog only about your good qualities, your accomplishments, moments where you shine.  sometimes you may leave out the less than flattering moments in your life because IT'S YOUR BLOG, DAMN IT.  you can write whatever you want.  you can write about how you eat yummy healthy yogurt most mornings for breakfast, and leave out the fact that a mere day after posting about yogurt you eat an egg and cheese biscuit from chik-fil-a for breakfast.  or that sometimes you eat leftover pizza for breakfast.  (these are just hypotheticals, obviously.)

well, yesterday i did something both dumb and funny, but i did it in front of my friends and they informed me that they expected to hear about it on the blog and that they knew where i lived if i didn't post it.  so readers, here it is: the most embarrassing thing i've done recently.

it was GORGEOUS here on sunday - 65 degrees!  sunny!  breezy!  i kind of lost my mind.  the duke crew (called such because most of us went to duke) decided to go to piedmont park (with the rest of atlanta) to play in the sun.  i called anderson on my way there and he said "park near where you used to park for kickball.  there are a lot of people here, though, so it may be hard to find parking."  check.  i turn down the street near the park where i used to park when coming to play kickball at piedmont park (yes, i was in an adult kickball league for a couple years), but i don't go as far into the neighborhood as usual, thinking it will be hard to find a spot.  i find a spot on the road that isn't in a "residents only" area, park my car, grab my blanket, water bottle, cell phone, and keys, and walk towards the park.

well, i thought i was walking toward the park.  turns out i wasn't.  i walked northeast when i should have walked due east.  no problem, right?  i'll just run into the park further north than i wanted to, but the park is totally due east and i'll be fine.  i realize this as i'm walking through this neighborhood, but i feel pretty good about my sense of direction.  i have to run into piedmont road eventually, and the park is on the other side of piedmont road.

thirty minutes later, there is no park in sight.  (in my mind, this was a 10-15 minute walk i was getting myself into.)  i call thomas.  "um, i'm lost on foot.  help."  his iphone came to the rescue and he got me turned the right way (the conversation involved such phrases as "where is the sun in relation to the direction you are walking?" - that is how tragic i was).  an hour after setting off from my car, i arrived at the park.  my friends clapped for me.  we google-mapped my route.  i was 1.2 miles away from the park when i called thomas.  um, oops.  turns out, piedmont road does not run north-south.  it run northeast-southwest.  i walked parallel to the park for half an hour.

i was wearing flip flops (in my excitement of the sun i decided that it was SUMMER).  my feet hadn't worn flip flops in six months, and certainly didn't expect to walk 2.5 miles in them.  today, my feet hurt a lot.

i am an idiot.  i hope to live this down.  some day.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious. Love it. Hate that your feet hurt, though :) Excited to see you this weekend, friend!

    ReplyDelete