Thursday, February 25, 2010

too low to be useful

This study is awesome: Brain Scans Track Hoop Fans' Happy Memories.

My favorite quotation from it:
"A pilot study for the basketball experiment included a half-dozen women who had passed the super-fan test, but even after five or six showings of the game, their recall of the shots was too low to be useful."

I can't stop laughing at this.  We women fans, we are tragic at remembering specific moments of a game.  But honestly, I'm not surprised.  When I coached softball, we'd play a team for the second time that season and the male coach that I worked with would say things like, "remember when we played them last?  Hannah had a double play in the last inning to win it for us!"  And I would have ABSOLUTELY NO MEMORY of this.  I couldn't have told you our record, let alone if we beat a team the last time we played them, LET ALONE specific plays from that game.  Perhaps my brain is programmed differently.  Or perhaps this was not drilled into me as a small child.

Mini test!  My Blue Devils.  I've watched every televised game this season.  What is their record?  I will guess 24-4 overall and 9-2 in the ACC.  Now I will check online.  (Do you like how I am giving you a play-by-play?)  Okay, they are 23-4 and 11-2 in the ACC.  I know about their loses!  And I was pretty close!  I am patting myself on the back right now.

Also, I want to know if I would pass this Duke basketball "super-fan test."  I think I would.  I want to see these questions.

There's a game tonight - rip 'em up, tear 'em up, give 'em hell DUKE!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite part of the article was, with reference to Duke fans, "they thought they were better [than UNC fans], but they weren't." Typical Dukies. Also, the co-author is the "Juanita M. Kreps Professor of Psychology & Neuroscience at Duke." Juanita Kreps was one of my economics professors (the Economics of Poverty, to be exact) and the Secretary of Commerce under Jimmy Carter. Why is a chair in the Psychology & Neuroscience department named after her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice csl10, let me know if you find the super fan test for our blue devils, i am curious...

    ReplyDelete