Thursday, June 28, 2012

hooooooooray!

at 3pm british summer time, my co-dean (and new best friend) liz and i started refreshing the new york times' webpage; the supreme court convened at 10am eastern time to issue the health care ruling.  when the new york times didn't have any information posted, we moved to cnn, which asserted at 3:06 that the individual mandate had been overturned.  sadness in the office.

5 minutes later every other news source asserted the exact opposite.  joy in the office!  explaining of our health care system to the brits!  frantically reading everything we could!  one website included this: "cnn should have waited another 5 minutes to be sure they got the decision right."  ha!

i imagine that some poor cnn reporter got fired today.

a couple hours later one of my sweet students from this year posted on facebook: "what's all the craziness about?  thank you [insert my name here]!" and she linked to a video i showed in class that explains the health care law in a really understandable way.  with cartoons.  17 year olds love cartoons.  her facebook shoutout totally made my night.  i'll post the video here so you, too, can understand what the heck is in this bill:



(kelly - this is required viewing.  obama loves people!  he wants the government to help take care of them - and we'll all benefit!  vote for obama!)

2 comments:

  1. HAHA As I read this (before I finished the post) I thought to myself, I need to ask Claire for that video. Thanks for sharing! You crack me up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Claire. I posted it to my facebook page. Very helpful summary. Plus, we may need to find a new name for CNN. Crisis News NOW network?

    ReplyDelete