Monday, May 31, 2010

it's pronounced m'waukee

all my life i've been slightly embarrassed by my mom's dancing.  at this point in my life i'm not embarrassed, necessarily, just like, "dance however makes you happy, but i'd like to go on the record as saying you dance funny."  this weekend at my cousin pat's wedding, with all the cousins and aunts (and a couple uncles) on the dance floor, i looked around...and my aunt monica was dancing EXACTLY LIKE MY MOM HAS ALWAYS DANCED.  and my aunt mary WAS TOO.  the same arm movements, the same body movements.  it was almost creepy how similar their dancing styles all were.  a lightbulb went off, and 27 years of my mom's dancing suddenly make sense: in the '60s and '70s THIS MUST HAVE BEEN HOW PEOPLE DANCED.  OHMYGOD.  additionally, my mom and aunts were so cute on the dance floor.

mom, apologies.  you dance just as well as your contemporaries.  props to you.

also, props for staying up and dancing longer than one of your children.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha this is awesome...and so true. Does this mean we will be dancing to Poker Face regardless of what's playing 30 years from now?
    Thanks for sharing your blog...fun new way to procrastinate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohmygod we totally will be! and it will be super embarrassing for our children. I CAN'T WAIT.

    ReplyDelete